Gall Stones Surgery Dubai – Gallbladder Removal
Gallstones are stone-like objects that most commonly develop in the gallbladder which is a small organ tucked up under the liver, on the right side of your body. Its job is to store and dispense bile—a fluid made by liver that helps digest fats in the fats/food you eat. The gallbladder, even if removed causes no observable problems in a healthy individual. Sometimes diarrhea and fat malabsorption are noticed in people that have their gallbladder removed by surgery. Gallstones size can vary from like tiny grains of sand to few centimeters size stones. These are made of contents of bile like cholesterol or bile pigments.
WHY GALL STONES ARE FORMED?
Below are some of the general factors that lead to gallstones:
- Obesity is one of the leading causes of gall stones formations in gall bladder
- More commonly gallstones develop in females above 40 years especially if obese. Pregnancy is also one of the risk factors.
- High cholesterol diets, refined carbohydrates as well as eatable consisting body fats like cheese, butter, and red meat also can cause gallstones.
- A sedentary lifestyle is also one of the risk factors of gallstones.
- Diabetes, cirrhosis, Crohn’s disease, metabolic syndrome, and various other can cause gallstones.
- Also, rapid weight loss (like after bariatric surgery) can cause gall stones.
WHY SHOULD YOU GET TREATMENT FOR GALL STONES & IF NOT TREATED THEN WHAT PROBLEMS THEY CAN CAUSE IN THE BODY?
To avoid further complications, you should get proper treatment of gall stones earliest There are several complications of a gallstone attack, including:
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Abdominal pain.
- Shoulder pain.
- Back pain.
- Chest pain.
- Cancer of gall bladder
POSSIBLE SYMPTOMS that can tell you that you may have gall stones
Biliary colic (intermittent duct blockage): in this, you experience a sudden and rapidly increasing pain with or without nausea & vomiting in several places like
- Upper part of the abdomen, on the right side.
- Between the shoulder blades.
- Under the right shoulder.
The symptoms may also include along with pain.
Pain is the most common symptom most people experience with gallstones. This pain can be mild to severe and can last from around 15 minutes to several hours. Gallstones can cause acute cholecystitis, which is a more serious condition when the gallbladder is actually inflamed. This may require antibiotics, hospitalization and even urgent surgery. Sometimes stones can pass out of the gallbladder and into the common bile duct can cause a complete blockage of the duct with jaundice, infection and pancreatitis which is a serious emergency.
HOW YOU CAN BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE GALL STONES?
- Best & most diagnostic test is Abdominal ultrasound: quick & simple test done by radiologist best done in 6-8 hours of fasting state and is considered to be a perfect test for detecting gallstones.
- Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP): his test makes use of an MRI scanner to produce high-resolution images of the bile ducts, pancreas, and gallbladder. These images are used for further tests and treatments.
Dr Girish offers Gall stones treatment by latest techniques & he is one of most experienced (30 yrs. of experience in surgery & laparoscopy) surgeon in Dubai.
It can be under your existing insurance .
The laparoscopic cholecystectomy remains the safest procedure for the removal of the gallbladder to treat gall stone disease. The advanced skills and the experience of the surgeon is the most important factor to prevent or reduce chances of complications to minimal .
This procedure uses 3-4 small cuts to give access into the abdominal cavity in order to remove the gallbladder. Using laparoscope (camera) enables us to inspect the abdominal cavity and perform surgery.
On the other hand, a single incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy (SILC) is a new technique being used by surgeons. We still lack long-term studies, and analysis regarding this technique.
It is part of single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS) to use one retractor with three holes instead of 3-4 trocars to minimize the trauma and reduce the number of scars. This technique still did not gain popularity.
Another technique is the NOTES operation. The Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopy Surgery is a technique in which surgeon uses a natural orifice, for example stomach or vagina, to get access to abdominal cavity without external incisions or scars. It is still an experimental technique & you will not have any external scar.
Dr Girish treatment plan for gallstones treatment depends on how the symptoms are affecting your daily life.
*If you don’t have any symptoms, active monitoring is often recommended. This means you won’t receive immediate treatment, but you should let your doctor know if you notice any symptoms.
**Non-surgical treatments for gallstones
- There are medications that can be used to dissolve the stones especially tiny & made of cholesterol . Dissolving medications can take long time & high rates of failure & recurrences are there. Also, medicines have side effects.
Lots of patients after weight loss surgery by Dr Girish who developed gall stones have benefitted with this treatment.
*** surgical treatments for gallstones (cholecystectomy)
Surgery by latest techniques is offered by Dr Girish which includes
- *The gallbladder isn’t an essential organ and you can lead a normal life without one.
- *As a general rule, the longer you go with symptoms, the more likely it is that your condition will get worse & surgery will be difficult.
Surgery (removal of gall bladder with stones) Can be done using different methods
The laparoscopic cholecystectomy remains the safest & most commonly used technique procedure for the removal of the gallbladder. The advanced skills and the experience of the surgeon is the most important factor
On the other hand, a single incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy (SILC) is a new technique being used by surgeons through single large cut but high rate of postoperative hernia occurrence & less safety are pushing this technique out of favor.
Another technique is the NOTES operation. The Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopy. It is still an experimental technique.
Keyhole surgery (laparoscopy) to remove the gallbladder
If surgery is recommended, you’ll usually have keyhole surgery to remove your gallbladder. This is known as a laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
During a laparoscopic cholecystectomy, 3 or 4 small cuts are made in your abdomen.
Your abdomen is temporarily inflated using carbon dioxide gas. This is harmless and makes it easier for the surgeon to see your organs by creating space inside.
A long, thin telescope with a tiny light and video camera at the end) is inserted through one of the cuts in your abdomen, which allows your surgeon to view the operation on a video monitor. They’ll remove your gallbladder including gall stones using special surgical instruments.
If gallstones are found, they may be removed during keyhole surgery. If the operation can’t be done this way, or an unexpected complication occurs, it may have to be converted to open surgery.
After the gallbladder has been removed, the gas in your abdomen escapes through the laparoscope and the cuts are closed with dissolvable stitches and covered with dressings.
The operation takes about one hour and you can usually go home the same day or next day morning.
Full recovery typically takes around 07 days.
Open surgery (Cholecystectomy) – now a days rarely indicated if
- Having severe inflammation of the gallbladder.
- Experiencing difficulties during an attempted laparoscopic surgery.
- Having severe cardiac and respiratory issues.
- Having a late term pregnancy.
- Experiencing major scarring from a previous surgery.
- Having suspected gallbladder cancer, a very rare condition.
ENDOSCOPIC RETROGRADE CHOLANGIO-PANCREATOGRAPHY (ERCP)
Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP) is a procedure that can be used to remove gallstones from the bile duct.
Obesity & Weight loss & risk for gallstones?
People who are overweight or planning to lose weight –either through a planned diet program or a surgery—have increased risk of developing gallstones.
Rapid weight loss is also a concern. If you go on a diet plan that significantly reduces your calorie intake or you have a weight loss surgery, your liver secretes extra cholesterol into the bile. Patients who are undergoing sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass or other weight loss surgical procedures that will lead to rapid weight loss are at risk of gallstone formation.
SURGICAL PACKAGES AVAILABLE
**Insurance companies usually covers this procedure
Why Dr. Girish Juneja?
- He’s well-experienced surgeon with 30 yrs of surgical experience , who has done hundreds of Gall bladder stones surgeries in UAE on local & international patients, so you can count for best results & safety on him & his surgical team.
First surgeon to have received surgeon of excellence Award for bariatric surgery (by world body – the international federation for the surgery of obesity & metabolic disorders) in Dubai, UAE 2017
Gall bladder surgery (lap cholecystectomy): nowadays a laparoscopic gall bladder surgery that is minimally invasive and is also the safest technique, with quick recovery and less post-operative pain.
Check what all is included and not included in the package.
- Pre-Operative Anaesthesia consultation, blood and other investigations.
- Fee of Surgeon.
- Operation charges
- Doctor Consultation charges
- Medication used during and post procedure
- Routine laboratory testing.
- Post operation Laboratory investigations.
- Routine Medical consumables
- Any type of therapy, investigation or procedures apart from the above mentioned will be charged separately.
- After Discharge medication will be charged separately.
**Insurance companies usually covers this procedure Otherwise 25,000- 35,000 AED. depending upon case